Interview of Afia - WhisperingFlames

IG - @whispering__books
Hi Afia, it's good to have you with us.

We are really happy and wish you a heartiest congratulations for acing Bookstagram community with
your own unique venture.

1) How did you get started with this business? How did you come up with this idea? And how long did it take you to cover the market? How were your initial days like?

→ The year 2017 was the year I had to give my 10th ICSEs, because of which we had a two month long study break. The last year of school being a stressful year, I hadn’t read much, but as soon as the study leave
started, I knew I wanted to get back into reading. That’s when I found certain bookstgram pages as well as book boxes. Finding the concept of bookish candles was, of course, inevitable as they had taken over the western bibliophile world. I found so many shops, added loads of candles to my cart, convinced my mum too – but in the end, I did not buy them because I realized we’d have to pay 120% customs and it simply wasn’t worth it, but I still really wanted them. So I decided to make my own.
I ordered some materials off Amazon and set out to make my own bookish candles, and failed
miserably. But I was determined, so I got some better materials, watched loads of videos and read heaps of articles on candle making. Slowly, as I started getting better, I decided that I wanted to share this with the rest of the Indian community as well (to be honest, I did not realize it was this vast) and voilĂ ! The day before my Chemistry final in April, I made the page Whispering Flames, and the response was simply phenomenal.
I hadn’t yet come up with the final product, but I gave myself until the end of April to perfect it and
gather all the materials needed, and thankfully, I succeeded in doing that.
The first time I had to ship out the orders, I had no clue how. I went around to various companies, all of them too expensive, and had no clue how the post office works (and here I am now, walking into the place like I own it every Saturday).
I don’t think I have yet covered the ‘entire’ market, but I think all the lovely bookstagrammers of India and my reps really helped spread the word.
The love I received from all customers and just the bibliophiles here in general is phenomenal, and I am so grateful.

2) How did you acquire the skill sets necessary to run this type of *business*?

→ Back in March/April last year, I was a complete failure at candle making. Though I got better, I don’t think I am perfect at it yet. The skills were acquired by basic trial and error and lots and lots of practice and reading of articles.
Business wise, I have no clue if I am doing it right. I followed the trend and held a rep search, which of course helped a lot. I mostly communicate through Instagram stories, and now most people know me off my bookstagram. I never really needed, or even wanted after the initial customer base, to advertise much as I simply do not have the time for Whispering Flames to grow into something huge, even if I’d like it to.

3)Who are your prime customers?

→ Certainly bookstagrammers, as everyone believes that candles just make photographs look amazing. I try to make my labels as aesthetic as I can for this very reason.

4)Since you're in high school right now how do you manage your professional life?

→ Ah. I am currently in the 11th grade as part of the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme,
which in itself is highly rigorous. I’d thought Whispering Flames would be only a half year thing, but then it grew so close to my heart that I could not let it go. I make candles every Friday evening after school for about 4-5 hours, pack them overnight and ship them on Saturday mornings, as that is the only day I can go to the post office due to its timings. It does get very tiring, but then I have the love of my customers to keep me motivated.
My processing time is 2 weeks, and I really wish I could speed that up, but with all the school work, it’s just not possible.

5)We heard you took a year gap was it for the business?

→ I did not take a year gap, I just had 3 months off between my ICSE exams and the beginning of the
International Baccalaureate.

6)Essentials we will find on your study table, which is your favorite?

→ My study table is such a mess, I usually study on my bed. But you will surely find LOTS and LOTS of Sharpies, colored fine liners (staedler and maped), LOADS of post its, a couple note pads, an array of to do lists, an assortment of washi tape, my planner, a dozen other notebooks and a broken pencil. My favorite(s) (this is so difficult omg) are the post its, colored pens and my planner.

7) Apart from candles which are your favorite bookish merch?

→ LAPEL PINS! You don’t get these in India often, but they’re still my favorite. Also stickers, bookmarks, pillow cases, totes and lip balms.

8)What is reading to you? Your favorite genre?

→ Reading to me is everything. My mum inculcated this love for reading in me before I was even born by reading to me every night. My current favorite genre is YA fantasy.

9)Since there are lots of competitors, how do you tackle competition national as well as internationally and who is your favorite?

→ Nationally, I didn’t have any competitors until recently, but even the shop that opened is my friend’s, so I am completely supportive. In fact, it was good to have some of the pressure of being the only one in the country taken off, so I’m really happy with the opening of other shops.
I don’t ship internationally, so no concept of competition there.
My favorite international shop is certainly Novelly Yours!

10)Do you plan to compete in the global market place? If yes, how and when? If no, why not?

→ Not really, no.
Mostly because I do not have the time plus they have a lot of their own candle shops which are far
greater, so I am very happy with my Indian community.

11)Tell us something that you would like us to know that hasn't been discussed so far.

-Most people don’t believe me when I say this, but I am a huge procrastinator. I do all my
schoolwork pretty last minute, and I don’t even know how I run this business xD.
- I am also a huge spendaholic when it comes to books, merch and stationery. I love to journal
and craft, even though I am artistically challenged. Photography is another one of my passions.
- One thing that a lot of people ask me is what I am planning to do in the future, the answer tothat is Psychology.

WE WISH YOU PURE LUCK AND MUCH SUCCESS AHEAD!


Interviewed by Pranati - MumbaiBookstagram.

Comments