BookReview: Water Falling Between Words by Anna Kapungu. Reviewed by Siddhi.


Ever since the popularity brought to blank verse poetry by new gen poets like Rupi Kaur and Lang Leav, we find more poets turning towards blank verse to present their thoughts.

Thank you Austin Macaulay Publishers, UK for the review copy of Water Falling Between Words by Anna Kapungu.

The poetry book is divided into 8 sections. Each section is dedicated to a particular theme. The poetess touches different social and personal aspects in this book. Her words are sharp and she makes no bones about any issue discussed in the poem. Now, while it is simplistically written and is quite lucid, there is a certain pattern I observed in the poems.
  • The poems are blank verses. Some poems do have a rhyme scheme but the author stresses on using a blank verse for a better effect.
  • The poems can be seen as sentences or phrases giving a knee jerk effect.
  • To me poems felt like a lengthened haiku.
  • Some titles of the poems were deceptive and I couldn’t connect with all the poems.
  • Some poems created a visual in front of my eyes and were indeed beautifully penned.
I shall write down my favorite poems from the book according to the sections.
Poems on life Behind the face, Lily, The rock in the middle of the ocean, I am woman, Life, The rock in the middle of the ocean
The rock in the middle of the ocean was quite metaphorical. I am woman only touched the surface I felt, it could have dived deeper to bring out the essence to suit the name.

Read the entire review here.

Comments